Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Lettuce Update

Lettuce is always feast or famine for me. I just haven't figured out how much to plant to keep it coming without feeling like it's all going to rot before we can eat it.

The first planting of this spring didn't seem all that large, especially since a lot didn't germinate. But the second planting is ready to cut and the first planting still provides us with more than we can eat, even though it is thinking about bolting. The first planting didn't seem all that large, especially when a lot of the seed didn't germinate. Of course, we had lots and lots and lots of spinach to add to the lettuce in our salads.

It seems that lettuce is always feast or famine for me. I just can't get the hang of how much to plant. When that long row of lettuce in the third planting gets to cutting size I will have to start giving away bags of lettuce to passersby -- if the heat doesn't take it out. The Merlot variety promises to be quite lovely, with a deep, rich color. I will post photos later. Right now, I am too weary from watering the lettuce and all the other tasks, to take photos. So lettuce stay in touch.

No comments: