Friday, July 22, 2011

It's Hot

Zinnias. One pleasant thing still happening in this heat.
It's hot. That's all there is to say about it.
I went out this morning before breakfast to start watering things, and to pick elderberries and cucumbers. All was done by 8. Yes, I get up early. It was very pleasant out at 6:30 a.m.

Butterfly milkweed. A lovely native wildflower that insists
on coming up in my vegetable garden.
The digital readout says 85 F now, at 9:06 a.m. That sounds like a lovely temperature to me, but in the sun and humidity it makes me sweat... a lot. I am headed back out soon to do some more watering, to pick tomatoes and check on the melons and peppers.

Cup plant, another native wildflower. But
this one is in my wildflower garden.

I am usually pretty hardy about the heat, but this extended period of 100-degree days is not usual and it is wearing me down. It's just not as fun anymore to go out and work in the garden. The heat wears me out, even though I usually am not out during the hottest part of the day. A 20 percent chance of rain today, Sunday and the middle of next week is the only hope we've got right now. I am really wishing for some puddles (and not any from water line breaks or leaks, please).

If you must be out in the heat, please take care of yourself. wear a hat with a good brim. Drink lots of water before you head out. Take frequent breaks (every 20 minutes to half hour) to drink and rest in the shade or air conditioning. Heat stroke sneaks up on you. And once you get it, your heat tolerance diminishes. And heat kills.
Take care of yourself.
It is hot.

I do live in the Sunflower State, after all.

No comments: