Thursday, February 27, 2014

Brave Soul


I keep checking the weather forecast, hoping it will change.

It does... but for the worst. A few days ago, the lowest low for early next week was 5 degrees F.
Now the lowest low is 1 below zero degrees F, with highs in the low to mid-teens. And before that, we'll face rain, freezing drizzle, sleet and snow.

Every time I look at the forecast, I get depressed.

Yet I keep checking.
Why do I torture myself like this?

And so, today, I must trek to the Post Office because Peaceful Valley thought it would be a good idea to send my trees now. Why don't they give me a way to request a "don't ship before this" date? Other nurseries do, and my other order of trees won't arrive before March 15, which still might be too early this year.

So I check the weather forecast again.
Depressing how I torture myself, isn't it.

On the bright side, this is what my lonely little snowdrop, my ferocious snow-piercer, looks like today. It's head bent against the cold, but the bud beginning to open.
Brave thing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Barefoot, I think spring might really be here now. I have been meaning to message you since last spring when you had all the trouble with cutworms. Always remember to take some good reading material (the local newspaper) with you to the garden when you transplant. Rip off about a 2" or so wide piece of the paper and wrap it around the stem a few times centered at the point where the plant exits the ground. This will protect the delicate stem from cutworms and then by the time it degrades the stem will be toughened up enough to fend them off for itself. This trick has worked for us flawlessly for many years. Let me know if you have any questions about it. Enjoy the weather! Leo