Friday, October 13, 2023

Transitions

 


Autumn has arrived!

A season of transition from summer's big production slowing into a season of rest.

We had our first "frost advisory" last week. No frost in our hilltop gardens, but frost at the bottom of the hill. This is our "pond," which has had no water in it all year. It's been dry since last fall. So many different plants have taken over. I love the way the plants have created this variegated effect, with different colors and textures. The white areas are a froth of grass seedheads covered in frost. The rising sun highlights the plants in the front of the photo, while the bowl of the pond is still in shadow.

We have another advisory for "patchy frost" early next week. So I'll ponder whether to protect some of the tender summer vegetables, or let them go. Since the days following the supposed frost have no frost potential, I will most likely drape them in sheets and blankets, while others I plan to take down regardless. Transitions.

My life contains another transition. I recently decided that after 30 years I would quit writing my gardening column for a couple of local newspapers. Enough is enough. I will put that energy into other things... like making more regular posts here.

More later.....

1 comment:

Coreopsis said...

Well I sure like your posts here! (We didn't have any frost on our farm, but lots along Wellman Rd....