Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Ups and Downs....

I woke before sunrise this morning with the thermometer sitting at 11 degrees Fahrenheit and falling. Today's forecast high won't even step above freezing -- a predicted 27 degrees F.

Yesterday, the high hit 50.

On Monday, the forecast calls for a high of nearly 60 -- then a day or two later, a high of 37.

Thus has gone the winter, so far. From springlike to Arctic and on around again. If this keeps up, spring planting will be tricky.

Today, though, a flat of 2-inch pots full of wet planting medium sits on my kitchen counter waiting for broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage seeds. In a few days, I should see tiny green leaves. In 6 to 8 weeks, they'll be going into the ground.

The wheel goes 'round, and up and down...

1 comment:

Meggie said...

Hi Sandra....it is the same here in Texas...I have the a/c on tonight, while last week the fireplace had a fire in it. I have a couple of cold frames going for me this year. Since I moved from the farm, I still don't have a greenhouse.