Sunday, August 26, 2012

Rain on the Watermelon

Saturday morning I took a walk in the rain.
In my own garden.
Rain.
After three days of light rains, we measured 1.25 inches. It did not fill the cracks in the ground, but it puddled on the stones, and dripped from the cedar trees, beaded on the watermelons.
Now everything is green again.

The sky has cleared and no rain is in the forecast. But I have faith again. And 2,200 gallons in the rain tanks. Rain.

Rain.

It is not yet September, and the world is beginning to show its autumn colors.

Some of the blueberry leaves are turning.

Shades of yellow highlight the woods.

Poison ivy adds a scarlet flame to the woods' edges.

The fall garden has been planted. Cauliflower, broccoli, kale, lettuce, cabbage.

Later, when the moon is waning, I will plant carrots, radishes, daikon.
Faith is the thing driving me now. Faith and a little rain.
Large cracks still wound the earth -- an inch of rain is not enough to repair the damage done by this hot drought.
But a little rain has softened the edges. And I believe again.

3 comments:

The Harried Homemaker said...

Wow. What a difference in rain fall totals. We got 3.8 inches here. We have lots of cracks in the ground, too, and measured one that is 19" deep in the middle of our chicken run. I hope no one falls in! We're so discouraged after poor harvests this summer that we're skipping a fall garden this year/ :(

greysniperpoet said...

that rain-beaded watermelon might be the prettiest thing i've seen all day! :D blessings be!

Sandra M. Siebert said...

19 inches. That is one deep hole. I am afraid to shove a measuring stick down the cracks. I don't know what I might stir up.
You got almost 4 inches and still have cracks in the ground? I wonder how much it will take to fill them?